Saturday, August 04, 2007

APEC Finance Ministers Meeting - Coolum Beach, Queensland

Yesterday I returned to Canberra after spending 7 nights at the Sunshine Coast looking after the Malaysian head of delegation at the APEC Finance Ministers Meeting at Coolum Beach, which was hosted by Australia. It was eye-opening, challenging, luxurious, exciting.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency resort which is entirely self contained and spans over 35 hectares. We had buffet breakfasts (when we could make it), 3 course dinners, endless supplies of snacks, beautiful big villas with huge bathrooms, king sized bed, kitchenettes and views of the resort's golf course and water... but we also worked hard! There were days I was run off my feet, days when I was in seemingly impossible situations, 13-hour days without breaks, days of trying to remember 20 things at once and having my phone ring every 10 minutes.













































It was interesting learning to deal with media, airports, ministers, managers, egos. Event management is a massive challenge and so many resources are involved. Some of the functions seriously felt like a wedding - it made me realise how easy it is for things to go wrong and how much you rely on people to do a good job!

Almost 30 of us Treasury people went as Liaison officers, looking after a particular economy's head of delegation. There was also a massive Taskforce run out of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. Not to mention the drivers, airport protocol officers, policy officers, transport team, security officers. I have never seem so many police officers in my life! Every 20 metres or so!

I got to know so many people and we had so much fun in between the work. The Treasurer put on an after party for us and everyone let loose because despite being surrounded by expensive wine all week we had never been allowed to drink at any of the functions because we were on duty!



























































It was also enlightening to see that ministers from all over the world and their advisers really do try to translate theory into reality, and they do aim for good policy rather than purely political point scoring. The preparation, negotiation, brainstorming and drafting of a communique all consumed long hours of each delegation's time and I was impressed at how much work they got done! It was not a junket - but the amazing setting definitely helped!

3 comments:

Liz :) said...

Oh wow!!! You always make life in canberra sound exciting! - although this was not in Canberra, but STILL!!! :) It was part of your Canberra job! :)

Climmie said...

It was awesome - and the job has been awesome :) I still say move east elizabeth!

Liz :) said...

Tempting!!! :P