It's been awhile since I've written - I don't know where the time has gone! Last weekend I went to Sydney to catch up with Elizabeth. Hey Elizabeth!! Hahahah.. I know you'll be reading. We went to the Lindt cafe and had some delicious Lindt chocolate cake and hot chocolate. And the end-of-financial year sales were very impressive. And we saw an apparently very famous Korean actress filming a juice commercial, but Elizabeth you'll have to fill in the name for me because I can't remember.
I was again struck by how much I like Sydney. I don't know if it's one of those places which is great for a holiday, but when you actually live there is hell. That's what some people say about New York City.
Over the past 3 days, I've been back at uni! I'm doing Legal Workshop, which is equivalent to Articles/College of Law/whatever your state calls it. Treasury is supporting it, which is good, so these 7 days of the first intensive unit I'm doing are claimable on study leave! I have so many 'extra' days of leave this year that I'm wondering how and when I will use up my annual leave. So we're at ANU this week doing submissions, appearances, applications to have default judgments set aside, client interviews, negotiations, cross examinations, drafting... all that stuff that is very familiar from law school.
It's been funny being back at uni again because I think when I left after 5 1/2 years, I was so glad to be out of there and vowed to never study again. But after only 6 months of the working life, and being stuck in a centrally-heated office for the majority of the daylight hours every day(Canberra's winter days are short), staring at a computer screen for 7+ hours each day, and being expected to be efficient and on the ball all the time - well, it was actually really nice to be at uni again! It was nice to be on a university campus, walking between classes, breathing the fresh air and seeing the sky and sun and trees during the day, being able to zone out during lectures, taking notes and listening to the lecturers run the show. The course is pretty interactive so we don't sit around all day but it definitely was nice to veg sometimes. And being able to take a lunch break without feeling rushed! That was great!
It all made me realise that I often don't appreciate or enjoy things fully until they have passed - and it was a good reminder to me to value all the fantastic things that are going on now - at work, with friends, at home, in Canberra generally. Because you can spend all your time looking to the future when things will be 'better' and completely miss the wonderful things about living in the moment.
Monday, July 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Cheryl!
Yes Lindt cafe! and the famous korean actress... which I ermm dont even know the name of! But she was really pretty wasnt she! :) Thanks for coming up to Sydney, it was good fun! Hope we get to know it a few more times! And yes maybe we'll be living in the same side of the country soon! hehe! :)
Hahaha... I wish I had bought some of those unusual-flavoured Lindt balls! They were awesome! Went back the other weekend with Michael but it was a Sunday and the Lindt cafe was closed :( But hopefully there'll be plenty more trips to Sydney (or better still, it'll be home someday) and we can go there all the time!
Post a Comment