We had a long weekend in Canberra last weekend and 14 or so of the grads headed to Jervis Bay (about 3 hours drive from Canberra) to see some coastline. We rented a house for 2 nights that came fully equipped with beds (for most of us), a barbeque, cooking utensils and dining ware. It was like a big sleepover - or a school camp where you don't have to do anything you don't want to.
We played Twister, 20 Questions, UNO, Poker and some games of our own invention, took walks along the beach, watched Grease, read books and magazines and shared secrets until the early hours of the morning.

Lukas, Mirren, me, Tara and Catie at the beach

The boys get active

Twister - some not so flattering views
It's getting cold in here...
Canberra has suddenly plunged into the beginnings of super-cold weather over the weekend. It's been -7 degrees overnight and in the mornings. This morning I had the not-so-brilliant idea of going for a jog (it looked sunny outside!) - I lasted for about 15 minutes before retreating back to the apartment. When I got into work I found out I had been running in -5 degree weather. Arrrggg.
Our car windows have been frosted over if they're left outside overnight - I got into my car this morning and couldn't see a thing. I stood there for ages trying to scrape the ice off the front, back and side windows. Yesterday, a driver actually hit and killed someone because they were driving with frosted-over windows.
Land of the Acronyms
It has occurred to me that all the weird and confusing acronyms I encountered when first starting work for the Government and living in Canberra in general have become part of life (and speech) now. At first we all complained about how coming to work here practically involves learning another language, and that people who have been here for a long time sometimes pack a sentence with more acronyms than real words. So initially all the grads had to ask for a translation every other sentence when speaking to people in the Department. But now...
We all abbreviate the areas we work in - I work in CPFU (Competition Policy Framework Unit), which is part of CCPD (Competition and Consumer Policy Division), we work on TPA (Trade Practices Act) matters as well as NCP (National Competition Policy), soon to become the NRA (National Reform Agenda). Each morning, I read the SCD (Strategic Communications Division) media report, each week I coordinate SoP (State of Play) for our unit, and we regularly write QTBs (Question Time Briefings) and EMs (Executive Minutes) for our Minister or his advisers. Speaking of which, the Treasury portfolio has 3 ministers - the Treasurer, the MRAT (Minister for Revenue and Assistant Treasurer) and the PST (Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer).
We've worked closely with DCITA (Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts), DOTARS (Department of Transport and Regional Services) and PM&C (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet). Our legislation is being drafted by OPC (Office of Parliamentary Counsel).
My housemates work at AG (Attorney General's Department) and Finance (Department of Finance, which used to be abbreviated to DoFA, some say appropriately, but this acronym was banned because it was considered offensive). On Friday nights, we go to OPH (Old Parliament House) or the NGA (National Gallery of Australia) for drinks.
Now, I thought I had most of the acronyms worked out already, until yesterday when my supervisor was going through her old files and said, 'I should PA these files'. I sighed and contemplated letting it pass, but curiosity got the better of me and I asked, 'What's "PA"'? And she said, nonchalantly, 'Oh, it means "Put Away"'. Of course.
1 comment:
Hahaha! That is hilarious! All those short forms of words! Wow, you guys must save so much time talking like that!
Cya in Sydney soon!
Love, Liz
Post a Comment