Recently I realised, to my horror, that I haven't updated this blog for about 2 months. It's been a pretty busy past few months, but not crazily so... at least not most of the time. I have a feeling it will get that way by July though.
I'm really quite enjoying life at the moment - I've settled into more of a routine this year that contrasts with the chaos that was last year. It's all very comfortable and familiar now. There's much less randomness. I think the knowledge that we have a wedding to prepare for has disciplined me a little - in terms of money, in terms of health, in terms of how I want to spend my time and what is important. Work's also become familiar. I reckon by next year I will be ready for new challenges and another round of changes, but for now I am happy to cruise.
I'm just going through my photos from the past couple of months and realised I haven't taken many! Not even during my trip back to Perth in April. The trip was fun - 9 days back in Perth, catching up with quite a few people - I had about 8 dinners out (two in one night!) and only got to eat my mum's cooking once! I went to Yen's wedding which was lovely, and it was great to catch up with some old uni friends there!
Also in Perth I ticked off some more tasks on our own wedding to-do list. I realised how ridiculous this whole process can be - intricate details that no normal person would give a second thought to become the object of analysis, consultation and conjecture during the wedding planning process. The subject of chair covers is a typical example. I have discovered that a lot of non-married/engaged people (and quite a few people who are married/engaged!) do not even know what chair covers are. And nearly everyone thinks it is incredible that a single chair cover, which is hired, costs about $4.50 per chair. Multiply this by 200 chairs, throw in setup fees, and you have kissed goodbye $1,000 for pretty chairs.
So what are the fine details that no normal person knows about chair covers? Well, I pondered the many different shades of red there are (there are many! wine red, true red, orange-red), the different types of sash fabric (organza, par silk, silk, taffeta), the different ways of tying a sash (bow, cravat, sideways), whether to have all the same colour sashes or alternating different colours, whether to have ivory or white for the covers themselves, which fabric could form the largest bow, whether we wanted the colour to be exactly the same as the bridesmaids dresses or slightly different so as not to make them fade into the decor. This is from a girl who is not into weddings. Honest! Options are evil.
Another funny experience Michael and I had on the weekend was going to David Jones to start a gift registry. Who knew forks could come in so many different styles? Did we want the forks with small grooves along the handle, the flatter forks, the heavier forks, the shinier forks or the squarish forks? We ended up laughing and picking the cheapest ones! That's always a good way to fast track any decision making process.
The other thing I did back in Perth was have a menu tasting at the Duxton, where we are having our reception. My mum and I were soooo stuffed afterwards. No matter what though, I always seem to have a second stomach for dessert.
No comments:
Post a Comment