Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ran out of time

Sometime last year I started realising that I simply don’t have time to do everything I want to do in life. It’s not like I have almost enough time, or a few isolated things I want to do that I need to make more of an effort to get around to. It’s not even close to that. There are hundreds of things that I would like to do and will probably not get around to doing.

Life gets fuller and fuller. Getting through the basics of each day is keeping me busy enough. Going to work for the whole day, trying to cook decent meals for the week, keeping up with the news, keeping up with what other areas of Treasury are working on, spending time with Michael, spending time with my group of girls, spending time with the wider grad group, going to parties, keeping in touch with colleagues and friends from church and Bible study group and Perth, talking to my parents, going to the gym, keeping the house clean (failing), grocery shopping, washing clothes, wedding planning, Legal Workshop assignments, replying emails, various personal maintenance matters (who has time to blow dry their hair, put on makeup, cut their fingernails or moisturise these days?), going to church, going to sleep, watching TV, reading all the books I can't resist buying…

And these are just the ‘essentials’ that I’m struggling to manage. Never mind the other things -trips I want to take with friends, the cooking class, the French and Chinese and Japanese classes, brushing up my piano skills, dance classes, skiing, Bible college, studying in China, working in Asia, working in the UK, spending two weeks in Rome and a week at the Louvre, going on a mission trip, studying English and creative writing and watching Westwing, The Godfather, Yes Minister and Bleakhouse.

I used to tease Michael about having a housekeeper. Now I’m starting to think it’s actually very smart.

1 comment:

Liz :) said...

Yes yes yes! A cleaner is a brilliant idea! :) Get one! :) Then u can have more time to do the more interesting things in life! :)