The past week I have just been alternating between bouts of energy and enthusiasm, and verging on collapse from exhaustion. On Friday night I just stayed in all night, and ended up on the phone with a Perth friend. We were talking about how it's important to experience living away from home and being independent of people you have always relied on... I have definitely found that being here I have been pushed to extend myself in some ways and not always do the comfortable/easy thing. I definitely have made some choices here that I wouldn't have made back in Perth, because in Perth I would have taken the safe option. I think you miss out on stuff when you do that all the time.
On a different note, on Saturday morning a few of us went to the National Gallery to see ‘Crescent Moon’, the Islamic art exhibition. They had weavings, weapons, items of jewellery, dining ware from Indonesia, Malaysia and India. It was really interesting to learn about the history behind the items and the influences of the time period on the different items. We ended up at Gus’ for an extremely late breakfast at 1pm (!!) and then Mirren and I wandered through the city looking at shops.
Last night we went out to Trinity Bar to celebrate Rithy and Maria’s birthday. The place is classy – filled with candles and red colour tones, and with a HUGE cocktail menu that is really quite delectable. They have a cocktail degustation menu – for $30 you get 5 cocktails in half-measures. Later we ended up clubbing in the city – it was lots of fun being out with everyone.
Tonight we’re having a visitor – Justin has come all the way from Cambodia (but originally from good old Perth) to Canberra for training and it’s going to be a dinner party at our place.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment